Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Aiden Update

Aiden is now 1 week and 1 day old... wow! Time flies! I finally decided to put him in his swing while he is sleeping and get on here to let you all know how things have been!

Well, it's been rough...

First, when we got home from the hospital I called my family doctor, who would be seeing Aiden, to schedule his first appointment. However, the receptionist informed me that she isn't seeing any newborns. I informed her that she had already approved seeing Aiden and that it is in my chart. So, they say they'll have to call me back. The nurse calls back and says, "I am so sorry, but the doctor has had to make the decision not to see any more newborns, and that includes Aiden, even though he was preapproved". I was devastated! I called my mom in hysterics practically, because who wants to have to find a pediatrician to see a baby in 3-5 days while having a 2 day old baby at home?!?!?! So, my mom calls the office the next morning and talks to someone she knows there. She told my mom that she can't tell us the details, but she said something has happened and the doctor has no choice but to not see any newborns. So, all we can assume is that someone is suing her for something with their newborn... which is SO sad, because she is the most amazing doctor EVER! So, my mom told me of a pediatrician group by the hospital that a friend of hers takes her twins to and highly recommends, and which they recommended in our birthing class. So, I call them, explain the situation, and they were awesome and got Aiden in on Saturday!!! (They have incredible hours! 8am-10pm weekdays, and 8am-5pm weekends!!! WOW!!!)

Anyway, we brought Aiden home from the hospital last Wednesday. On Thursday night he was extremely fussy and would not calm down! I tried to nurse him and he acted extremely frustrated with feeding. So, we kept at it until Saturday when we took him to the doctor for his first well-baby appointment... turns out he wasn't well :( He had continued to lose weight since discharge and was becoming jaundice (Aiden was 7lbs 8oz. at birth, 7lbs. 1oz. at discharge, and 6lbs 13oz. at the appointment Saturday). So, they sent us for blood work to check his Billi Ruben, which came back at a 14.6 - not too bad, but still not as low as it should be for a healthy baby! Also, the doctor had us try Similac and told me to pump and see if I was getting anything.... I didn't. I pumped each breast for 5 minutes and had maybe 5 drops... literally, drops... from each breast. I was so frustrated, and a little upset with myself because little did I know that my body was denying my baby the nutrition he needs to thrive! I'm not blaming myself... it was just disappointing! So, we went back to the doctor the next day (Sunday) and he had already gained 3 ounces in 19 hours from being on the formula! They rechecked his Billi Ruben levels, and they dropped from 14.6 to 13.8! YAY! So, the doctor said we are on the right track for sure, and to come back in 1 week (we have an appointment for Friday).

Needless to say, I was terrified - especially when the doctor said the word "hospitalization" as a possibility if his levels were too high. I was in tears in the doctor's office. However, God is good and pulled our little guy through just fine! His coloring is awesome now, he is eating like a champ (about 1-2oz, sometimes 3, every 2-3 hours... not as much as he should, but he's getting there! He's just a little thing anyway!) I'll keep trying to pump and see if I get anything... but in the meantime, we've stocked up on Similac!

No comments:

Post a Comment